Pages

Friday 6 September 2019

2019 Art

This will be my blog post for the progress from the end of my second board through the end of my third board.

6/9/19
I have finished my third series for my second board and I have also finished my first piece in my final series for my second board. My third series as a whole represents the climax of the characters desperation. It has gotten to the point where even their guardian angels can no longer intervene. The piece it's self with the textured background and puzzle pieces symbolise the fabricated reality falling apart, meaning that it's hard to tell at times what truly is real or not and for this piece it seems as though nothing is truly real. It also represent the life of the character falling to pieces and not having a whole lot left to hang on to. The silhouette itself is reminiscent of the police tape laid at a crime scence, which represents that the "darkness" has fully consumed them to the point where they have completely lost them self. 

My second to last piece for this board was inspired by the layout of Marian Maguires work her contrast between simple and complex aspects of human figures and also Alex Grey whose work with Tool has been an inspiration for my whole board because of the visionary aspect to most of his work. This piece was based around the lyric of "Vicariously I live, while the whole world dies." The earth will eventually have tombstones on top of it to represent the planet dying. What this piece represents is the need to watch other peoples tragedies unfold when we are going through our own struggle. We often find ourselves comparing our hardships to others hardships, and if theirs is worse it makes us feel better about ourselves. But we don't stop to help them because we often don't realise that by helping others we can help ourselves. The question mark over the face of the silhouette shows that our thoughts can often be blinding, and we can fail to see what is right in front of us a lot of the time. The lines on the face going from left to right represent a revolution of thinking or an attempt to evolve. The lines eventually form a full face but the question mark overshadows this evolution because without accepting the world around us, our understanding of it will never grow. The textured background represents the sporadic thoughts that we have, that have no relation to what we are doing at the time, let alone help us grow as people. I may change the yellow for a darker colour just to match the overall feel of the second board, but I also need to start bringing colour back in for the overall idea of coming full circle in a sort of "self evolution."



Salvador Dali
Image result for salvador dali work
14/9/19

I have completed my third board and have also finished my planning for my first piece on my third board. My final piece for board three was based around the lyric of "Cause I need to watch things die from a distance." It is a continuation of the second to last piece as they represent similar themes. The overall idea of the piece is turning to other peoples tragedies help ease the pain of our own. 

As I move into the third board I will incorporate ideas that represent the understanding that not everything in life goes right, but accepting that makes everything a whole lot easier. I will also start incorporating the ideas of being saved by something. This different for everyone, whether you have a religion or not and I will incorporate many of these different ideas. The main ideas I will focus on are being saved by a force unknown to us, using the lyric "I pray the light lifts me out." Tool fans also often use "Spiral out" as an encouragement to keep pushing and keep trying which I will also incorporate using "Spiral out, keep going."

My first piece on my third board will deal with the idea of slowly coming to terms that the world is not the best and eventually it all ends, but accepting that is better for you than not, using the lyrics "I have come curiously close to the end" and also "in my darkest moment feeble and weeping, the moon tells me a secret."




2/10/19

I have made good progress on my first piece for my third board. This piece reintroduces natural aspects of the world in the form of a cliff side. This piece is inspired by the surrealism of Salvador Dali. The main inspirations for this piece are the lyrics "I have come curiously close to the end" and also "And in my darkest moment feeble and weeping, the moon tells me a secret." I have used these lyrics to represent the idea of slowly coming to the realization that death is reality, and the world isn't the greatest, but it's okay. The figure is conversing with the moon, representing dark thoughts that occur at night, but the opposite goes for the other side of the piece. On this side I will use light colours to represent the natural world, and the acceptance of the real world as shown by the question mark and the eye coming together as one.



I have also finished planning my third board. I focused on the visionary work of Alex Grey and the surrealist work of Salvador Dali and also the work of Da Vinci with his Vitruvian man and Michelangelo. I am also using the moon sun and earth to represent the bringing back of balance. The first piece is based around the lyrics of "Recognise this as a holy gift, and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing" and "Reaching out to embrace whatever may come." I wanted to use these lyrics to represent the idea of life being a gift to all of us and we should learn to accept the world for what it is and all of it's wonderful mysteries. This entire series of works is about the character reconnecting with the world, and bringing back balance to life. The second piece in this series is based around the lyrics of "This body makes me feel eternal, all this pain is an illusion" and "What have I done to be the son of an Angel." I will introduce the idea of a spiral which will represent the never ending journey of life and evolution. I have used Da Vincis Vitruvian man to represent the idea of growth and evolution. The third piece is about the character reconnecting with the world and being pulled out of their dark days. I used the lyric of "I pray the light lifts me out" to inspire this piece. This piece is mainly where I will use surrealism, showing the world melting away and carrying the silhouette away.

For my final piece I wanted to bring elements together that represent balance. The lyric I used to plan this piece was "I may find peace with the emptiness." I used this lyric as I believe it brings the ideas of my folio full circle. Bringing the earth, sun and moon back together but also the question mark and eye. This piece is showing the acceptance and peacefulness we all need to have of the world, through our perception and questioning of the world.




28/10/19

I have finished one of 3 pieces for the middle of my final board. This piece is based around the artworks of Salvador Dali, and the lyric of "I pray the light lifts me out." I wanted to demonstrate the world and the silhouette character reuniting rather than separating showing the coming down back to earth. Alongside this I wanted to show some sort of elevation, to represent being lifted out of turmoil, into something more hopeful. Salvador Dali inspired this piece heavily with his use of contorted imagery which seems as though it is melting away which I incorporated here. I wanted to show the earth floating away to represent that nothing lasts forever, and everything has to change in order to survive. Overall this piece represents the willingness to change and accept the world for what it is, while simultaneously being lifted up to a more enlightened way of seeing the world, which ties in to my final piece as this will be at the end of the series of three on my board. The pillars are a motif I have used for my entire board and I wanted to use them here as a way to separate the earth and the space above. But I wanted the earth spilling over these pillars as a way to show the silhouette and the earth coming back together. 


7/10/19

Finished Panels





1 comment:

  1. Hi Lachlan,
    I like how you have different pictures. Nice colours.

    form brianna

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.